Friday, November 25, 2005

Misty, 1988-2005

"Look at me/I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree"

When I first saw Misty, he was a small kitten hiding under the couch. Our friends, the Morrises had already named him before they gave him to us. The name had stuck even after the vet told us that he was a male cat. The Morrises and other since often referred to Misty using feminine pronouns.

Misty had quickly developed a fondness for catnip and chasing plastic Easter eggs shells across the linoleum floor. Throughout his life he loved attacking inanimate objects.

One day we found him straining to urinate in the flower bed. The vet said that bladder stones had clogged up his urinary tract. For the rest of his life we had to feed him special food.

This past year he had suffered dramatic weight loss. On Saturday he meowed in a way that sounded distressing. He wasn't moving much and he was cool to the touch. The vet tried to take his temperature and it wouldn't register. I had him hosptalized even though the vet said there wasn't much hope. I decided even if he died anyway the expence would bring me the peace of mind that I did everything I could.

Sunday morning the vet called and said that he had passed away.

....I get misty the moment you're near

Lyrics are taken from the song "Misty" by Johnny Mathis

No comments:

Post a Comment