Tuesday, December 12, 2006

No beer to be sold on New Year's Eve this year.

Because December 31st falls on a Sunday this year, you will not be able to buy liquor in a store in Indiana on that day. I don't drink, but sometimes when I am invited to a party, I am asked to bring beer. This year, I work that night and I am in a play, so I don't think I'll be going to any parties that day.

Still, if I were planning on going, the host would have to request that I buy beer a day in advance. I would have to make a special trip to the liquor store, since I can't go after work while I am still in uniform. It would be a lot easier if I were allowed to buy the beer while on the way to the party. It isn't that big of a deal to me, but my question is this: Are there that many people who are opposed to buying beer on Sunday, but are totally cool with buying beer the other six days of the week? And if not, why the hell is this law still on the books? Now, I can't picture people marching down Calhoun Street shouting "We Want Justice, We Want Beer On Sunday!" or "It's Only Wrong On One Day Of The Week!" But this law is just silly, and silly laws cause people to have less respect for laws in general, including serious laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment