Thursday, September 22, 2005

Star Trek and "Atlas Shrugged"

This is just for kicks.

Page 1050
“He’ll obey us now! I’m sure he’ll obey!”
“No! It’s not enough! I don’t want him to obey! I want him to believe! To accept. To want to accept! We’ve got to have him work for us voluntarily!”

ST:FC “You wanted me to give myself freely to the Borg. But I fought you.”

* * *

Page 1015
“When you force a man to act against his own choice and judgement, its his thinking that you want to suspend. You want him to become a robot. I shall comply.”

TNG “Best of Both Worlds”
“You will comply”
* * *

Page 1024
“For instance, in view of the desperate shortage of food, it has been suggested that it might be necessary to issue a directive ordering that every third one of all children under the age of ten and of all adults over the age of sixty be put to death, to secure the survival of the rest.”

See TOS episode “The Conscience of the King”

* * *

Page 463
“There are no absolutes,” said Dr Pritchett. “Reality is only an illusion. How does that woman know that her son is dead? How does she know that he even existed?”

TNG episode “Chains of Command”
“How many lights do you see?”
“I see four.”
“No, there are three lights.”

* * *

Page 894
“You don’t seem human anymore! You keep pressing us for answers when we haven’t any answers to give. You keep beating us with logic-what’s logic at a time like this?-what’s logic at a time when people are suffering?”

STII
“My god man! We’re talking about universal Armageddon and he wants to talk about logic! You green blooded, inhuman…“


* * *
Page 1052
Now he knew that he wanted Galt’s destruction at the price of his own destruction to follow, he knew that he never wanted to survive, he knew that it was Galt’s greatness that he wanted to destroy…

STII
“To the last, I grapple with thee. From hell’s heart, I stab at thee….”


* * *

Page 980
“…they deliver their science to the service of death…to inventions of coercion and destruction..”

STII
“Scientist have always been pawns of the military.”

* *

Page 1074
He raised his hand and over the desolate earth he traced in space the sign of the dollar.

ST:FC
“Dollar signs! That Zefram Cochrane’s vision!

1 comment:

  1. Fasscinating comparisons. I'd always liked Star Trek...

    ReplyDelete